Creamy Taro Root Potato Leek Soup with smoked Gouda From Petit Chef
* 2 Taro roots
* 1 potato
* 3 leeks
* 1/2″ piece of ginger
* 1 yellow onion
* 1/2 red onion or one shallot
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1/4 cup all purpose flour
* 2 cups half and half or milk
* 2 tablespoon olive oil
* Pinch teaspoon white pepper
* Salt to taste
* 8 oz of smoked Gouda shredded
* Fresh ground Black pepper
* Wash, peel and chop taro roots and potato in 1″ chunks.
* Wash and chop leek.
* Place all of these chopped items in a microwave safe bowl.
* Add water to this boil to boil these three ingredients in Microwave.
* Boil them for 20 min or until taro roots and potatoes are tender.
* Take them out of microwave and set aside.
* Chop onions and ginger and set aside.
* Heat Olive oil in a deep pan.
* Add chopped onions and ginger and saute until light brown.
* Add boiled Taro roots, potato and leeks with the water that these were boiled in.
* Simmer on slow heat while you prepare white sauce as follows.
* Heat butter in a pan.
* Add flour to melted butter and add half and half or milk.
* Stir and cook on low heat until it thickens slightly.
* Add this to simmering veggies.
* Add salt and white pepper.
* Cook for 2-3 min.
* With a hand blender puree all the ingredients until soup has smooth consistency.
* Add smoked Gouda cheese.
* Cook until the cheese is melted.
* Serve hot with few sprinkle of fresh ground black pepper.