Water Spinach and Coconut Stir-Fry (Kankun Mallung)
- 2 tspvegetable oil
- 1small onion, finely chopped
- 1long green chilli, finely chopped
- 10curry leaves (see Note)
- 1 tspblack mustard seeds
- 1pinch of ground turmeric
- 2 tspMaldive fish (see Note)
- 1 tspdried chilli flakes
- 120 g(1 cup) freshly grated coconut or
- 15 g(¼ cup) shredded coconut, toasted
- 1bunch Chinese water spinach (ong choy) (see Note) or English spinach, trimmed, leaves and stems chopped into 5 cm lengths
- 1 tbsplemon juice
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, chilli, curry leaves and mustard seeds, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add turmeric, Maldive fish, chilli flakes and coconut, stirring to combine.
- Add spinach, then remove pan from heat, cover and stand for 5 minutes or until spinach has just begun to wilt; it should retain its bright green colour. Add lemon juice, season with salt and stir to combine. Serve.