Ziti with Caramelized Shallots, Spinach and Gorgonzola
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 shallots – halved and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 lb ziti (or other) pasta
- 150g baby spinach
- 500g vine ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-low heat. Add shallots, garlic, sugar, pepper flakes and salt. Cook stirring occasionally, until caramelized and tender, about 16 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring large pot of salted water to boil. Add ziti and cook according to package directions, reserving about 11/2 cups water. Drain pasta and return to pot.
- Stir 1 cup of pasta water into shallots; remove from heat. Stir in spinach, tomatoes and lemon rind, just until spinach begins to wilt. Add to pasta, along with gorgonzola. Toss together and drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add additional pasta water if needed.