Vegan Stuffed Tomatoes
- 6 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup basmati rice
- White wine vegetable broth, or water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a baking dish large enough to hold the tomatoes snugly (I used a 9-inch deep dish pie plate).
- Slice the top quarter off of each tomato and set the tops aside. Working over a strainer set over a bowl, use a melon baller to carefully scoop out the flesh and juice. If you have any large chunks of tomato flesh, coarsely chop it.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pot. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato flesh, olives, and parsley. Stir in the rice.
- Measure the reserved tomato juice and add enough white wine, vegetable broth, or water to equal 2/3 cup. Add the liquid to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the rice is just tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Taste, and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the tomato “cups” in the prepared baking dish. Spoon the rice mixture into the cups and cover with the tomato tops. Bake until the tomatoes are just beginning to wilt, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Recipe from Turnip The Oven – enjoy!