Savory Tomato Pie
4 tomatoes1 shallot1 clove garlic½ tsp thyme½ tsp oregano1 tbsp unsalted butter2 sheets puff pastry15 g shredded Gruyère cheese15 g Parmesan cheese (grated) 115 g mayonnaise1 egg yolk salt pepper sugar unsalted butter (for greasing)
1. Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F. Peel and finely slice shallot and garlic. Slice tomatoes. Roughly chop fresh thyme and oregano leaves.
2. Melt butter in a small pan over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and sauté for approx. 8 – 10 min., or until the shallot just begins to brown.
3. Grease a pie dish, add half of the puff pastry—you’ll have some overhang, don’t worry, that’s what you want. Add Gruyère cheese, Parmesan cheese, and mayonnaise to a bowl and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cheese mixture to the puff pastry-lined pie dish and spread evenly. Add shallot mixture and layer on sliced tomatoes. Season with salt, pepper, and sugar, and sprinkle with chopped fresh thyme and oregano.
4. Cut the second sheet puff pastry into approx. 1 ¼ cm/½ in. wide strips. Layer the strips to form a lattice pattern over the pie. Now trim both pastry sheets, leaving approx. 1 ¼ cm/½ in. of dough hanging over the sides. Press to seal the dough together and wrap it up around the edges.
5. Bake pie at 190°C/375°F for approx. 20 min. Open the oven, and carefully brush the top of the pie with beaten egg yolk. Bake for another approx. 20 – 25 min., or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 min. before slicing. Enjoy!
From Kitchen Stories